The Denver Broncos take on the Chicago Bears this Sunday. The Bears bring with them a 7-5 record and are converting 32% (27th in NFL) of their 3rd down opportunities and scoring 53% (13th in NFL) of the time, while in the red zone.
In this weekly article, Pro Football Spotlight will bring you the upcoming opponent’s rushing and passing tendencies, as well as some additional data and observations. For example: Did you know that the Bears are 7th in the NFL in time of possession each game?
Every team in the NFL has strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, and go-to guys. They have plays they like to call during tight situations or directions they like to run when in the middle of the football field.
Let’s take a look at the rest of those tendencies…
- Bears Offense
Left End Left Tackle Left Guard Up the Middle Right Guard Right Tackle Right End No: 41 No: 43 No: 44 No: 22 No: 50 No: 52 No: 59 Rank: 14 Rank: 17 Rank: 6 Rank: 32 Rank: 6 Rank: 6 Rank: 4 Avg: 3.0 Avg: 5.0 Avg: 5.0 Avg: 4.6 Avg: 3.3 Avg: 3.6 Avg: 6.7
- Denver Defense
Left End Left Tackle Left Guard Up the Middle Right Guard Right Tackle Right End No: 37 No: 47 No: 28 No113 No: 29 No: 46 No: 41 Rank: 19 Rank: 11 Rank: 22 Rank: 4 Rank: 23 Rank: 10 Rank: 15 Avg: 6.1 Avg: 4.7 Avg: 3.3 Avg: 4.1 Avg: 3.8 Avg: 5.1 Avg: 3.9
- Above, is a new slider graph we are trying at PFS. First, you should see the Opponent’s run tendencies. If you click the ribbon (grey column) on the right you will see how opponents are doing against the Broncos’ defense. Hope you like it.
- The Chicago Bears appear to run the ball to the right. They are ranked no lower then 6th in the NFL in the number of attempts to each right area of the formation.
- The Bears are ranked 1st in the NFL in production when running the ball around the right end, with 6.7 yards, per attempt.
- Chicago is also getting 5.0 yards, per carry, over the left guard area. And appear to like to run to that area due to the fact that they are ranked 6th in the NFL in number of attempts.
- The Denver Broncos are currently ranked 32nd in the NFL in yards surrendered, per play, over the right tackle. So look for the Bears to continue their assault over the right side of the formation (left side of defense).
| 2011 Target By Zone Chart
|Avg. Gain: 13.2
||Avg. Gain: 12.2
||Avg. Gain: 7.8
|Plays: 92||Plays: 79||Plays: 129
|Avg. Gain: 4.8
||Avg. Gain: 8.5
||Avg. Gain: 13.2
- The Chicago Bears have a tendency to try and throw to the deep middle zone. They are currently ranked 6th in the NFL in number of attempts to that zone, with 25.
- Chicago also like to throw the ball the short right side of the field, but that isn’t necessarily a big difference from other teams in the NFL. What is different is that they are only completing 62% of their passes to the short right zone (22nd in NFL) and only 53% in the short left zone (31st in NFL).
- The Bronco are doing pretty good this year in the deep right and left zones. They are currently ranked 1st and 7th, respectfully, in completion percentage surrendered. But the Broncos are only ranked 28th in the deep middle zone, the area the Bears like to throw to and have had the most success.
- Look for the Bears to test that deep middle after they work the short zones and run the ball.