The Kansas City Chiefs meet up with the New York Jets this Sunday. The Jets have a 7-5 record, so far this year, and are bringing to the game a 3rd down conversion rate of 48% (2nd in NFL) and have a red zone efficiency of 61% (4th in NFL).
In this weekly article, Pro Football Spotlight will bring you the upcoming opponent’s rushing and passing tendencies, as well as some additional data and observations. For example: Did you know that the Packers are 1st in the NFL in pass yards per play?
Every team in the NFL has strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, and go-to guys. They have plays they like to call during tight situations or directions they like to run when in the middle of the football field.
Let’s take a look at the rest of those tendencies…
- Packers Offense
Left End Left Tackle Left Guard Up the Middle Right Guard Right Tackle Right End No: 50 No: 40 No: 18 No: 58 No: 21 No: 44 No: 80 Rank: 11 Rank: 19 Rank: 30 Rank: 27 Rank: 26 Rank: 13 Rank: 1 Avg: 5.0 Avg: 3.2 Avg: 2.7 Avg: 3.9 Avg: 6.6 Avg: 4.9 Avg: 3.5
- Chiefs Defense
Left End Left Tackle Left Guard Up the Middle Right Guard Right Tackle Right End No: 54 No: 45 No: 37 156 No: 24 No: 45 No: 42 Rank: 5 Rank: 15 Rank: 12 Rank: 1 Rank: 28 Rank: 15 Rank: 16 Avg: 5.8 Avg: 4.1 Avg: 3.0 Avg: 3.9 Avg: 3.2 Avg: 5.0 Avg: 5.2
- Above, is a new slider graph we are trying at PFS. First, you will see the opponents run tendencies. If you click the ribbon (grey column) on the right you will see how opponents are doing against the Chiefs’ defense. Hope you like it.
- There is one big trend when the Packers run the ball…they like to get around the right end. Green Bay is currently ranked 1st in the NFL in the number of attempts around the right side of the formation. They have attempted to run at the right end 80 times and are averaging 3.59 yards per attempt.
- Green Bay is getting their best production at the right guard area. They are currently ranked 1st in the NFL in that area with 6.67 yards per attempt.
- In general, the Packers like to run the ball to the tackle area or outside.
- The Chiefs have been attacked directly at the middle of the formation more than anyone in the NFL…but the Packers haven’t shown a preference to run in that location. Look for Green Bay to test that middle a little despite that tendency.
- The Chiefs are 19 in the NFL in yards given up around the left end and 23rd in the NFL in yards surrendered around the right side.
- Look for the Packers to throw the ball a lot…and catch the Chiefs off guard with a couple of draws.
| 2011 Target By Zone Chart
|Avg. Gain: 17.6
||Avg. Gain: 19.1
||Avg. Gain: 15.4
||Plays: 78||Plays: 183
|Avg. Gain: 8.3
||Avg. Gain: 7.9
||Avg. Gain: 7.0
- It seems like every week I have been stating in these articles that the Green Bay Packers love to throw the ball to the right side of the field…and no one appears to stop them. They just keep throwing it to the right. So much so that they are ranked last in the NFL in the number of attempts to the short left zone.
- The Packers have thrown the ball 183 times to the short right zone (4th in NFL) and 39 times to the deep right side of the field (3rd in NFL).
- Not only do the Packers like to throw it right…but they rank 1st in the NFL in completion % to the short right zone. They also rank 5th in completion % in the deep right zone.
- Those are some pretty good numbers to contend with for the Chiefs. Esepcially since Kansas City is ranked 29th in the NFL in completin % given up in the deep right zone. Teams are still attacking the Chiefs in the deep right side of the field. Opponents have attempted 39 throws to that zone which is the 3rd most in the NFL.
- Expect the Packers to keep doing what they like…which is going predominantly to the right side of the field.
- If you would like to check out the Chiefs latest tendencies…then check out the most recent game’s article Post Game Tendencies and Performances.