The Kansas City Chiefs beat the Green Bay Packers this Sunday, 19-14. The Chiefs move to 6-8 on the season while the Green Bay Packers drop to 13-1.
In this weekly article, Pro Football Spotlight will bring you the blocking performances of the recent Chiefs, as well as some additional data. For example: Did you know that the Chiefs had great pass protection from their tight ends and backs during the Packers game?
Let’s take a look at those blocking grades…
|Team Run Blocking||Power Blocking||Power Score||2nd Level Blocks|
|Did the lineman get the job done or not? These grades are good for understanding value for a team and not necessarily for comparing across teams. A game in the mid 80s to 90% is a decent score.||How often did the offensive lineman dominate the block or how often did he get dominated? These scores are good for comparing across teams and finding the most dominant lineman in the league.||Anything over zero is a good score. The more over zero the more the lineman dominated the defender. Each lineman is scored a minus for being dominated, a zero for a draw, or a plus for dominating the defender.||The number of success over failures for the lineman when blocking linebackers and safeties on the second level. The lineman must be athletic to accomplish a high second level score.|
- Run Blocking
Run Grade Bar Power Pull 2nd Grade Score Block Level Pope 71% +2 +1 0 McClain 60% 0 0 0 Becht 77% -1 +3 +1
Run Blocking Notes:
- Leonard Pope gets some significant action against the Packers. He ends the day with some nice receptions and a 71% run assignment grade with a +2 power score. Nice job this week by Pope in getting movement on some of his blocks.
- At 9:40 in the 2nd quarter, LeRon McClain has a good wham block to spring the running back. And he gets another one at 6:15 in the 3rd quarter.
***Pic Taken from Chiefs game on Fox
- Both Leonard Pope and Jackie Battle have good blocks at 5:41 in the second quarter.
- At 12:19 in the 3rd quarter, Pope doesn’t show very much energy on his block. When players take plays off, the offense stalls out many times. He does a nice job throughout the game, he just needs to keep the intensity high…you can always rest on the sideline.
- At 14:09 in the 4th quarter, Pope has a great down block.
- LeRon McClain ends the day with a 60% run assignment grade. The main issue for McClain was picking up a defender on every play. I see other fullbacks in the AFC West blocking defenders even when the running back does not follow them. We expect the same from LeRon on every play. Find a defender and hit him. If nothing else, it will beat the defense down so they will be easier to run on at the end of the game.
|Team Pass Blocking||Passing Power||Pressures||Combo Help|
|Did the lineman get the job done or not? These grades are good for understanding value for a team and not necessarily for comparing across teams. A game in the 90% is a good score for pass blocking.||How often did the offensive lineman dominate the block or how often did he get dominated? Each lineman is scored a minus for being dominated, a zero for a draw, or a plus for dominating the block.||How often did the offensive lineman give up pressure on the quarterback? Every once and a while a lineman can do his job but give up pressure on the QB. This stat will help glean more info from the line grades.||How often did the offensive coordinator provide help for a tough defender or a struggling lineman. Yea, two lineman ended up with the same grade…but how much help did either of them get?|
- Pass Blocking
Pass Grade Bar Power Pressures Sacks Combo Grade Score Allowed Allowed Help Pope 98% 0 0 0 1 McClain 98% -1 1 0 0 McCluster 98% 0 0 0 0 Jones 98% 0 0 0 1 Becht 75% -1 0 0 1
Pass Blocking Notes:
- At 11:37 in the 1st quarter, Jackie Battle picks up the blitz well, as the Packers bring the heat.
- Thomas Jones, LeRon McClain and Dexter McCluster all end the game with high scores in pass protection.
- Anthony Becht continues to get a lot of reps from the tight end position, H-back and fullback position.
- Becht ends the game with a 75% pass assignment grade with a -1 power score.