The Kansas City Chiefs meet up with the Pittsburgh Steelers this Sunday. The Steelers have a 7-3 record, so far this year, and are bringing to the game a 3rd down conversion rate of 50% (3rd in NFL) and have a red zone efficiency of 50% (15 in NFL).
In this weekly article, Pro Football Spotlight will bring you the upcoming opponent’s rushing and passing tendencies, as well as some additional data and observations. For example: Did you know that the Steelers are 6th in the NFL in passing yards, per play?
Every team in the NFL has strengths and weaknesses, tendencies, and go-to guys. They have plays they like to call during tight situations or directions they like to run when in the middle of the football field.
Let’s take a look at the rest of those tendencies…
- Pittsburgh Offense
Left End Left Tackle Left Guard Middle Right Guard Right Tackle Right End No: 12 No: 19 No: 22 No: 73 No: 61 No: 44 No: 20 Rank: 30 Rank: 30 Rank: 22 Rank: 12 Rank: 1 Rank: 5 Rank: 27 Avg: 4.4 Avg: 4.5 Avg: 3.0 Avg: 4.1 Avg: 4.1 Avg: 5.8 Avg: 5.9
- Chiefs Defense
Left End Left Tackle Left Guard Middle Right Guard Right Tackle Right End No: 42 No: 35 No: 23 No:137 No: 11 No: 31 No: 32 Rank: 3 Rank: 14 Rank: 19 Rank: 1 Rank: 32 Rank: 20 Rank: 18 Avg: 6.3 Avg: 4.6 Avg: 2.7 Avg: 3.9 Avg: 3.2 Avg: 4.8 Avg: 6.0
- Above, is a new slider graph we are trying at PFS. First, you will see the Patriot run tendencies. If you click the ribbon (grey column) on the right you will see how opponents are doing against the Chiefs’ defense. Hope you like it.
- The Pittsburgh Steelers really like to run the ball to the center/right of the formation. They are ranked 1st in the NFL in the number of attempts toward the left guard area, and 5th in the NFL in the number of attempts toward the right tackle area.
- Pittsburgh is getting good production when running the ball at the right tackle. They are currently 7th in the NFL in production in that area with a 5.8 yard, per attempt, average.
- The Steelers are getting over 4 yards, per attempt, in every area except over the left guard area.
- The Chiefs have been attacked 137 times directly over the middle of the formation. That is 1st in the NFL in the number of times teams have attacked a defense directly in the center of the formation.
- The Chiefs are giving up less than 4 yards, an attempt, from both guard positions to the center of the formation…but are surrendering over 4 yards, a carry, from each tackle area out to each end area.
- Look for the Steelers to run the ball off tackle against the Chiefs. Especially over the right tackle (defensive left) because that is what they like to do more often.
| 2011 Target By Zone Chart
|Avg. Gain: 9.0
||Avg. Gain: 9.8
||Avg. Gain: 17.1
||Plays: 86||Plays: 102
|Avg. Gain: 7.1
||Avg. Gain: 7.7
||Avg. Gain: 6.7
- The Steelers have attempted to pass the ball 86 times (3rd in NFL) in the short middle zone.
- It appears that Pittsburgh like to throw the ball deep. The Steelers are getting their best production when they throw the ball to the deep right side of the field (17.1 yards per attempt).
- The Chiefs are currently surrendering a 48% completion percentage to the deep right side of the field (29th in NFL). Since the Steelers are getting good production in the deep right zone, and they are 8th in the NFL in completing those passes (45%)…then look for Pittsburgh to test that deep right side in the game.
- If you would like to check out the Chiefs latest tendencies…then check out the article Post Game Tendencies and Performances against the Patriots.